Re: Europa-List: AC powered fin strobe

Subject: Re: Europa-List: AC powered fin strobe
From: R Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 09:36:08

On 10/12/2011 06:12, Richard Lamprey wrote:

> My fin mounted 12V DC Filser strobe went u/s, and I
> have spent some time looking for a similar strobe that
> will fit in the hole in the fin (5 cm exact diameter).
> I settled on the Illusion strobe from the US (mostly
> used for ultralights), the only one that will fit, and
> this is powered directly from the Rotax 912 magneto
> generator, which supplies 12V AC.  I am told it has an
> exceptionally bright flas.  The strobe power box is
> wired in series between the 912 generator wires
> (yellow) and the Ducati voltage rectifier. Also,
> strangely, there is no circuit breaker or fuse in this
> system.  Has anyone installed an Illusion AC system
> before, or similar?  Are there problems, does it blow
> the rectifier?  The supplier assures me this is a
> common installation with 912 engines, and there are no
> problems.

Be advised that the AC voltage out of the stator can be as
much as 30 v at full power.

That might explain why it is so bright.

Unless you really meant "in series" rather than the usual
"in parallel" !

If it works in series then it might be OK with a slightly
higher engine rpm before the battery gets charge.

RFWH