Europa-List: off topic interesting incident

Subject: Europa-List: off topic interesting incident
From: William Daniell <wdaniell@etb.net.co>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 15:20:15
All

I attach a foto of one of our club pa28 taken yesterday.  Have a look at the
wing.

The aircraft hit a tree in the approach to Bogota in a place called Bojaca
---From the south west - you can find it on google maps.   In addition the
aircraft has a big dent on the spinner and lost an main gear leg.

It appears that the aircraft was descending through a hole in the cloud over
bojaca and accidentally came up against a mountain of which there are lots
in Colombia.  The aircraft hit a tree making the substantial hole in the
left wing loosing the fuel tank and main gear leg.  The pilot as soon as he
saw the tree applied full power and had the presence of mind to switch
tanks.

Now here is the remarkable thing.  The aircraft bounced off the top of the
tree and flew in this state to our base in Guaymaral SKGY which is about 15
minutes flying time and landed coming to rest obviously on the left wing.
Not a mark on the prop.

Will