Re: Europa-List: broken tap

Subject: Re: Europa-List: broken tap
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 13:59:44

On Nov 19, 2011, at 5:10 AM, hagargs wrote:

>  By the way you should be using coarse threads for soft material
> like aluminum.  Use 10-24 and lubricant when tapping.

Good point Steve...it hadn't occurred to me to use coarse threads.
I'll be needing to safety-wire the bolts, so I'd ordered (and have in
hand) AN3H-3 bolts...looking again in the Acft Spr cat., I only find
10-24 threads in some cap screws w/ slots for single blade screwdrivers.

Guess I'll settle for what I have...and if the threads strip, upsize
to 1/4 dia. bolts...

Fred