Europa-List: broken tap

Subject: Europa-List: broken tap
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 18:14:36

Well...I feel like I just REALLY stepped in it.

While carefully, slowly, tapping 10-32 threads in 1/2" thick aluminum,
I've broken the tap.

I needn't go into detail as to what I was attempting to accomplish,
but it was in conjunction with  providing bolts to the mono LG swing
arm to which brackets supporting a portion of a fairing for the main
wheel would attach.

Not sure how to proceed, though I suspect I'm not the first to break a
tap.

I'm not optimistic of being able to drill out the tool steel of the
broken tap, and even if that could be accomplished, my hunch is I'd
end up having to use a larger bolt.

One possibility would be to grind the portion of the embedded tap
which is proud of the surface of the aluminum, alter the bends in the
bracket, and drill a new hole (say) 2 diameters away from the existing
partially-plugged hole.

On the other hand, perhaps there is a well-recognized method for
extracting the broken tap?

Any suggestions?...anyone?

Fred
A194