Re: Europa-List: Re: Motor glider Wings

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Motor glider Wings
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 18:33:21
Frans and others,
Attached above is a drawing of how to install a wing rigging alignment
device to replace the spar cups.  It just attaches to the back of the
fuselage.

Here is an excerpt from an email I sent to another Classic Owner (mono
wheel) from my tech support file from a while ago:

There are a couple of things to look at with adapting the MG Wings to
the Classic.

First,  The Classic has the wing lift points set by the owner.
Measurements vary somewhat from plane to plane as we have differences in
builder abilities.  The leading edge of the glider wing is narrow and
the molded in attach point is smaller so the forward and aft sockets may
not line up acceptably with the glider wing lift pin attach points.

Second,  the fuselage must have Mod 52 to structurally take the stress
of the motor glider wing loads.  (If the Classic wings do not have Mod
74 then that must be done also for your own safety.)  Your task is
easier if the Mod 52 is not done.  If the mod 52 is in, just try the
wing rig first and see if the attach points will align, see below.

Third, should the glider wing fore or aft attachment points not line up
with the glider wing, don't fret:
I have found it very easy to just move the attach points of the Classic
fuselage to the glider wing position and simply remove and replace the
pins in the Classic wing.  The reason it is easier, as it seems to mean
changing 8 hard points, is that it is technically easy, it will make
rigging and de-rigging of the plane a snap and assure structural
strength.  The Classic wing is very easy to remove the pin attach
points, and frankly I replace the aluminum one inch strips with two inch
strips making a stiffer attach point as in the XS model.  The socket
attachments are quick to change also.  Just unbolt and gently heat and
remove, then grind the glass down.  I pull out the aluminum wing root
plates and replace them, as it only takes a few minutes with a dust mask
and a grinder to remove.  Total time with a die grinder and 40 grit
paper is about 2 hours to remove the wing attachments and 2 hours to
completely replace the aluminum plates with all the parts made up and on
hand.  It takes me 8 hours to remove the fuselage sockets and the glass
and wood spacers on the fuselage side and replace them to new.  Like I
said, I remove the aluminum plates imbedded in the fuselage if the holes
are just too far off.  Hopefully you don't have to.  If I have to, I
grind away at the skin over the aluminum plates in the side after the
glass is removed and allowing the now warm metal from grinding to detach
---From the inside skin, or by using a bit of heat from a soldering gun and
I apply a prying force to the edge of the plate.  I make another
aluminum plate and install.  8-12 hours to remove and replace plus cure
time.  So a couple of days and you have a pristine fuselage side ready
for a perfect alignment of both wings.

This is not a daunting task for me, but I am more familiar than the
average guy.  If your original builder did a precise job of aligning the
pins on the Classic, you may have no problem or only a problem with
aligning the front or the rear glider lift pin.  I have found one of
them to be just a bit high leaving the upper skin very close to the pin
attach point with the glider wing perfectly aligned.  We just did a
Classic and I am uncomfortably close to the top of the attachment area
on the rear pin support, instead of centered in the pin area.  If it
were my plane I would have centered the pins and moved the fuselage
sockets, but I tend to prefer to shoot for the optimum, and my clients
are wanting the quick solution.

Don't let a bit of glass work over a few days or a week keep you from
having the joy of a soaring airplane.  I can't tell you how enjoyable
the motor glider is.  I hope you saw my article in the Europa flyer on
cross country in the MG.  If not send me an email and I will send a .pdf
copy.  The mono with motor glider wing is carrying a hundred pounds of
extra wing weight so make sure your rubber block is new as your normal
touchdowns will need to absorb the extra mass.