Re: Europa-List: Battery Location with a 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Battery Location with a 914
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 10:34:18

Tony, My mono/914/Woodcomp wobbly prop/fully equipped panel set up has the
Odyssey battery sitting over the pax footwell in front of the firewall,
where it sits in a small moulded tray secured by a nylon strap. It left the
C o G in reasonable position, but to achieve what I calculated as the ideal
position, I fitted 3lb lead block in front of the stern post. ( Giving
position 58.96" which allows any combination of pax 150 - 400lbs/baggage
0-80lbs/fuel0-110lbs) I suspect that the saving in extra heavy duty cable.
and support for  a rear mounting more or less makes up for the 3 lbs weight
and it is certainly more convenient in the engine department.
        So I wouldn't assume that you have a C o G problem, and would be
strongly tempted to plan a forward location until proved otherwise.
        Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ