Europa-List: Battery Location with a 914

Subject: Europa-List: Battery Location with a 914
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 08:27:06
Gidday,
I have set up a rear battery location for my battery on the assumption
that I will have a CoG problem. I have a 914 with an Airmaster prop, and
a normal panel. Suffice to say, can I presume that I might need weight
in the tail and therefore having the battery back there is a good
option, or can I confidently place it under the baggage bay shelf ? I am
about to buy cabling for the battery which is why I am asking at this
point.
If I do keep the aft location I am trying to work out a lightweight
containment that will accept a decent deceleration. The back of my head
looks better without a battery in the back of it. I have thought of
using rudder cable looped aft under the tailwheel leg attachment point,
and then forward onto the battery box. This Odyssey battery at least
comes in a metal battery case. Any input much appreciated.
Thanks
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia