Re: Europa-List: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 07:40:22
Raimo,

The other is carb heat left on for take off?

Cheers,

Toby,

Tim's other son

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton,
Christchurch,  8052
New Zealand.

ward.t@xtra.co.nz

Ph 64 3 3515166
Mob 0210640221

On 3/10/2011, at 4:58 AM, "Raimo Toivio" <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi> wrote:

> All
>
> I have got plenty of good guesses via list and also direct.
> Some of you have hoped I will not publish them with their names and do not
 worry I wont=C2=B4t.

> Graham =93 I /we got an empty message from you =93 please rety
pe it =93 I am sure it will be a good info.

> One of you have guessed the problem was because a broken de-icing rubber i
n the prop blade. That=C2=B4s good but unfortunately my Europa is so far sti
ll missing de-icing systems totally. They would be soon very useful in Finla
nd.

> ***
>
> No one has so far found a reason for my vibra.
>
> So there are still a possibility to get an Xmas packet from Finland.
> I quarantee the shipment will be worth of making a good guess.
>
> ***
> Tips:
>
> - the reason was off /on or black /white =93type and very easy to re
pair; it was fixed in seconds.
> - when finally found it was not invisible at all.
>
> Go On!
>
> Cheers, Raimo OH-XRT

 and gusting MUCH) grass strip. Soon until well over the ground at altitude +
500 feet with full power and 2nd fuel pump still on and gears up I felt sudd
enly let us say medium or more shake and vibration. My immediate reaction wa
s to go around and land immediately but abandoned because wind was so furiou
s and I felt I cannot do that (a succesful landing).

> I decided to try to fly to the next possible sensible airfield EFHV which w
as 10 minutes apart.

> Those minutes were long: I put my prob (Airmaster CS) to manual and drived
 it from fine to coarse, tried all the power settings and also a 2nd fuel fi
lter. Finally I noticed that when prop was in a climb mode (in my case 5400 r
pm /Rotax 912S) and MAP around 20 inches I got quite a comfortable flying mo
de and I headed straight home. My airspeed was w that selection about 110 kn
ots but because of a strong headwind GS was only about 70 knots (wanted to b
e clearly over the ground at 3000 ft because it was well over sunset and tot
ally dark, yesterday we got sunset around 1600 Zulutime and time was well ov
er 1630 when flying).

> So, I pushed home one looooong hour. All the aerodynamics were well. I was
 a bit worried my engine will separate or so. When trying to push more pwr i
t was more vibra and when trying to pull less pwr same. I Followed a main hi
ghway and decided to land there if feeling so. Cars there with lights are al
most like a lighted runway...

> Finally landing to the EFTP flawlesly.
>
> ***
>
> Today we had a FHGP (Family Hangar Grill Party). I tried to check my plane
 as well as I can. I found something. Very small evidence but something anyw
ay. I tried to fix it and had a test run. I elected to go to fly =93 h
ey I am a test pilot who else =93 and She was better than ever!