Re: Europa-List: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle
From: Stephan Cassel <stephan@scassel.se>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 11:22:31
Hi Raimo,

Very happy that everything vent ok.

Your story sounds very familiar:

Two years ago I had a serious prop failure with my WoodComp SR2000.
One blade stopped due traverse drive failure. This blade had 6-8 degrees
(or even more) different pitch compared
with the other two. Must say that I was extremely happy that it was not
during an English Channel crossing.

I found out that the travers drive that had collapsed, had no grease on.
Totally dry! It was the travers drive behind the control unit
(stop-switch).
When I disassembled the prop, the grease on each prop-blade connection
to the hub has become very hard.

I talked to Jiri, at WoodComp, and they told me that I should use
another grease as they also have found out that the original grease
was not good (in fact very bad)

Every WoodComp SR2000 users should:

1. Disassemble the prop every 200 hours or less and grease all
connections. Use Aero Shell 7 (according to WoodComp)
2. Every annual grease the travers drive. Use Molicote (according to
WoodComp).
3. Every annual grease the gear box . Use plenty of Vaseline (according
to WoodComp)

Now and then clock the time between fine and coarse. It should not take
more then 15 seconds. WoodComp say that you can accept
30 seconds but I think that is too much. My prop has now 12 seconds and
I will suspect the servo motor or need for new grease when it
takes more then 15-17 seconds.

This is very important !! If the hub connections is not greased well
enough, the travers drive will be overloaded and will sooner or later
collapse.

WoodComp has excellent HTML based document how the maintain the prop.

Best regards,
Stephan
LN STE Kit 556