Re: Europa-List: 914 Prop Question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 Prop Question
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 16:08:50

Not sure if this makes sense or not, but how about installing a simple
fixed pitch first and then upgrading to a constant speed? My feeling
is that the chances of ground loops or prop strikes are greater during
the first few months of flying. I recall reading about a landing gear
failure while taxiing.

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 6:07 AM, Mike Toft <watervet@mweb.co.za> wrote:

> Tony,
>
> I have a 914 with the Airmaster Prop and the versatility and performance is
> exceptional
- it is able to absorb almost any change of power setting and I seriously
doubt a fixed pitch will be able to handle the additional 15hp boost at
115% - you will likely end up with an rpm overspeed - in which case stay with
the 912S
> Mike
> On 27 Aug 2011, at 11:05 AM, David Joyce wrote:
>

>> Tim, I wouldn't be without my wobbly prop - would rather trade in the 914 for
a 912S if pressed to the choice. You may have a long runway to base yourself
at but it's likely you will want to get in/out of a short grass strip or a
shortish,
high, hot runway where every bit of performance is welcome. There is also
the consideration that the speed range of the Europa is so wide (stall speed
less than a third of maximum cruise speed) that a fixed pitch prop inevitably
seriously cramps performance at one or other end of the range..
>> Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Ward" <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>

constant speed propeller would be appropriate. Simply to utilize the extra power
in the most efficient way allows you to get out of difficult situations.
>>> Airmaster propeller system is just a delight to use and such a reassurance
in the countryside we fly over here.
>>> I know it comes from this side of the Tasman however you will be very
>>> pleased
with the ingenuity and simplicity of the Airmaster.
>>> .
>>>
>>> Hope all is well with you. Now flying the big one from the left seat I hear.
I spent 14 years from the right seat and enjoyed it very much.

>>> Good luck on the industrial side, don't get locked out!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>
>>> Tim Ward
>>> 12 Waiwetu Street
>>> Fendalton,
>>> Christchurch, 8052
>>> New Zealand.
>>>
>>> ward.t@xtra.co.nz
>>>
>>> Ph 64 3 3515166
>>> Mob 0210640221

still have a lot of building to go before I have to worry again. I'm
nevertheless
wondering if more learned people would care to comment on whether a fixed
pitch prop, maybe a Catto prop, could work on a 914. I know the pitch of the
prop would need to be determined to suit the style of flying I prefer, and lets
say that is to go as fast as my engine/airframe combination will allow, at 75%
power. To that end I reckon my takeoff performance will be compromised, but
recent video of Bob Catto speaking makes me believe it might only be in the
order
of a couple of hundred feet. If I can deal with that, well what other
limitations
are there that haven't come to mind yet? Does anyone know of a builder
of anything that has strapped a fixed pitch prop to a 914? I don't and thats
why I'm asking. There might be a bunch, I just don't know them. Also, there
might
be some issues at altitude, although simplistica!
> ll!
>>> y !
I think there is probably even issues of aerodynamics that might be wrong with
that last statement, so I'm happy to read whatever someone can contribute.