Re: Europa-List: 914 Prop Question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 Prop Question
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 10:30:00

Hi Tony,

You wrote:

> I'm nevertheless wondering if more learned people would care to
> comment on whether a fixed pitch prop, maybe a Catto prop, could
> work on a 914.

I first met Catto (that would be Craig, not "Bob") in the mid-70s when
he was a 15 yr. old kid carving props in his parents' garage...rather
audacious stuff...I think I've seen the recent videos to which you
refer...as you know, he now has an impressive record for designing and
building specialty props for a broad spectrum of aircraft and uses.

Glenn Crowder (on the europa list) is very happy w/ his Catto on his
125 hp Sube-powered Classic which he flies out of Golden, CO (@5000+
ASL)...Glenn can compare performance w/ (I believe) his in-flight
adjustable NSI prop.

If you can track down the CAFE test data done on Kim Prout's Classic
and forward it to Catto, perhaps that info could guide Catto to be
able to estimate what he can do in the way of a FP prop for your
XS...he, of course, has his data from Glenn's prop as well.

As others have opined, matching the Europa to a FP prop is somewhat
counter intuitive, but depending upon your operational requirements, I
suspect it might work for you.

Fred