Europa-List: 914 Prop Question

Subject: Europa-List: 914 Prop Question
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 17:34:11

Its been a long while since I've had to think much about props. In truth I still
have a lot of building to go before I have to worry again. I'm nevertheless
wondering if more learned people would care to comment on whether a fixed pitch
prop, maybe a Catto prop, could work on a 914. I know the pitch of the prop
would need to be determined to suit the style of flying I prefer, and lets say
that is to go as fast as my engine/airframe combination will allow, at 75%
power.
To that end I reckon my takeoff performance will be compromised, but recent
video of Bob Catto speaking makes me believe it might only be in the order
of a couple of hundred feet. If I can deal with that, well what other
limitations
are there that haven't come to mind yet? Does anyone know of a builder of
anything that has strapped a fixed pitch prop to a 914? I don't and thats why
I'm asking. There might be a bunch, I just don't know them. Also, there might
be some issues at altitude, although simplistically I believe the prop works in
an IAS environment so maybe it doesn't matter. I think there is probably even
issues of aerodynamics that might be wrong with that last statement, so I'm
happy to read whatever someone can contribute.
Thanks
Reg
Tony Renshaw