Re: Europa-List: Tire /tyre landing incident /accident

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tire /tyre landing incident /accident
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 18:45:35

On 07/21/2011 04:49 PM, Raimo Toivio wrote:

> I purchased and got today a tyre *pre-puncture* liquid from Netherlands.
> I have it 25 liter = about 6 gallons and I need it only 0,25 liters.

Just a few thoughts:
1) It is available in 1/4 liters bottles as well, so you could have
saved quite some money.
2) According to the website it is only for punctures in the thread, not
in the sidewalls. But if I remember correctly the sidewalls is where the
monowheels usually develop the leaks.
3) According to the website it is for slow moving vehicles only. But I
wouldn't exactly describe an Europa as a slow moving vehicle.
4) They also say that it can be washed away with water if you want to
repair the tire. I'm not sure what to think about this: Does it also
mean that when you fly through the rain the stuff dissolves? You might
not even know that you had a leak previously but suddenly the tire
empties and you are in for a surprise when you land on the wet runway.
5) The stuff remains liquid inside the tire. During landing the wheel
accelerates in a very short time when the wheel makes initial contact
with the runway. The liquid stuff inside the tire has inertia and I'm
not sure what the effect will be. For sure it will have a lot of
friction for a short moment, and it may give a massive imbalance when it
has piled up on the bottom of the tire during flight and suddenly has to
rotate very fast, just like a washing machine that starts to hop when
the laundry piled up on one side. You might be the inventor of the
"self-bouncing monowheel". This imbalance may be the reason why it is
described as "for slow moving vehicles only".

So, be careful here! You might want to add the stuff in stages and test
each stage with an actual landing to see how it behaves.
Also, what is the effect of temperature on that liquid stuff? Will it
become a jelly like lump inside the tire if it gets too cold? Maybe put
it overnight in a freezer and see what becomes of it.

> Price: 550 euros /canister. As I wrote I am not saveing when it is the
> question of my or my familys (flight) safety.

I fully agree but you should make sure you are not trading one risk for
another. If this stuff really works one would expect that it would be
used already widely in the airplane industry.

Frans