Re: Europa-List: Re: Landing gear Failure, ATTN Graham Sing...

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Landing gear Failure, ATTN Graham Sing...
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 22:53:22
<<1/2" over center would fail the stops in a hard landing because of the
=0Atremendous leverage by being too much over center. Is this perhaps what
 you are =0Atalking about, too much over center will fail the undercarriage
  mounting frame =0Aand cause a collapse? The early Classic undercarriage
mounting frames needed to =0Abe strengthened to prevent just this scenario
 with proper amount of over =0Acenter.=0A=0AI could see if there was play
in the system that gravity could pull the gear =0Adown and get it on center
  or even under, but if there is no play and the down =0Adetente is solidly
  pushing LG08 against stop i am at a loss to visualize how =0Atoo much wou
ld  equate to under-center and cause a collapse?>>=0A=0AHi Ron=0Ayes, this
is pretty much what I was trying to explain. But still haven't quite =0Adon
e it? The play that matters is the clearance between LG 12 and the part it
=0Alocks into in the gear down position. I think there is an ideal amount o
f O/C =0Awhich is quite small so that the load on LG12 is low. Your suggest
ion of 1/16" =0Asounds about right but I suggest not more than 1/16". Then
there must be very =0Asmall clearance between LG12 and the lock so that it
can't go forward when G =0A(during a bounce) tries to pull the gear down fr
om the O/C position.=0AYou can see from the original picture Jeff posted th
at the loads can be =0Aconsiderable, enough to completely fail the LG12. I
wouldn't have thought there =0Awas much gap on the one that failed but the
combined effect of too much O/C and =0Atoo much LG12 clearance probably cau
sed Jeff's failure. imho of course. Hope =0Athis is a clearer explanation o
f my thinking, please excuse the creaking and =0Agroaning from the old gear
s in my head!=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0AFro
m: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com
=0ASent: Saturday, 11 June, 2011 19:15:29=0ASubject: Europa-List: Re: Landi
ng gear Failure, ATTN Graham Sing...=0A=0A--> Europa-List message posted by
: "rparigoris" <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>=0A=0AHi Graham=0A=0A"If there i
s too much O/C, when the gear hangs down it pulls it off the O/C and =0Amom
entum of the links can take it under centre."=0A=0ASorry, I don't quite kno
w what you are trying to say.=0A=0AWould you mind too much to explain a lit
tle more?=0A=0AIf lets say we had 1/2" over center. If the gear lever held
LG08 against the =0Astop on the undercarriage mounting frame, unless there
was some play, the LG08 =0Ashould stay against the stop, no?=0A=0A1/2" over
 center would fail the stops in a hard landing because of the =0Atremendous
 leverage by being too much over center. Is this perhaps what you are =0Ata
lking about, too much over center will fail the undercarriage mounting fram
e =0Aand cause a collapse? The early Classic undercarriage mounting frames
needed to =0Abe strengthened to prevent just this scenario with proper amou
nt of over center.=0A=0AI could see if there was play in the system that gr
avity could pull the gear =0Adown and get it on center or even under, but i
f there is no play and the down =0Adetente is solidly pushing LG08 against
stop i am at a loss to visualize how too =0Amuch would equate to under-cent
er and cause a collapse?=0A=0AI scuff sanded LG08 and my gear lever and rea
med the holes and bonded with Redux =0Ain an attempt to keep play to a mini
mum, in addition to installing the stiffener =0Aangle (think Mod 51? could
be wrong on the number)=0A=0A=0A=0A=0ARead this topic online here:=0A=0Ahtt
p://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=342732#342732=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A