Re: Europa-List: Filser Radio problems

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Filser Radio problems
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 12:11:37

On 05/31/2011 01:57 AM, Bud Yerly wrote:
> I guess I really have a dumb SWR meter in comparison to yours.

No, any SWR will do.

> It
> allows me to measure if my antenna is tuned to the freq

That's one of the things it can do. If the cable is shorted or broken,
the impedance will show up as zero or infinite ohms, so it will display
a severely out of tune situation.

> If you have a radio that you suspect a low power or poor transmit but
> can receive OK, it seems that one can check with an SWR but you will
> still have to get another antenna and compare if the installed antenna
> is not working.

You don't have to do that, if the SWR shows up OK, you can be pretty
sure that the antenna is working and the cable is OK.

Frans