Europa-List: Filser Radio problems

Subject: Europa-List: Filser Radio problems
From: David Lewendon <davidlewendon@me.com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 09:54:59

I have a Filser ATR 600 VHF Com plus a separate Filser Mode S
Transponder. I am experiencing difficulties in transmitting and
although I can hear various ATC centers from a reasonable distance of
20 to 30 miles out I cannot get them to hear me until I am only 6 or 7
miles away.

My Europa does not have an external antenna and having looked in the
rear fuselage section there appear to be two coax type cables. One
goes to a black metal box approximately 4 inches long and 3/4 of an
inch square that is fixed to the upper side of the fuselage (about the
ten o clock position). The other cable disappears into the tail section.

There is a small unpainted metal antenna about 2 inches long
protruding from the lower fuselage but this must be too short for a
VHF radio and does not have the small ball on the end like a
transponder aerial would have.

BTW, I have not checked the transmit button yet for a good connection.

Any clues pleas?

Thanks

David