Re: Europa-List: Filser Radio problems

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Filser Radio problems
From: jimpuglise@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 21:40:30
David-

I had an identical problem a few years ago. I had blown the final in my tra
nsmitter. The final transistor is relatively powerful and what permits you
to transmit some distance. I was getting about 2 milliwatts output from the
 driver and could be heard for about 3 miles. Replacing the final transisto
r was the fix. If you can beg, borrow, or steal one, a wattmeter with a dum
my load will tell you if that is the case. Simpler than all the testing, if
 you can get to the back of the transmitter, put an SWR bridge in the line.
 If it is an antenna problem, the SWR will be quite high, probably over 2/1
. If you know someone who is a radio amateur they may be able to help you w
ith both tests. They are very simple and can be done in five minutes or so.
 Failing that, I'd construct a tape dipole as described in the manual and h
ang it outside the plane. If you can both transmit and receive off it, the
antenna in the airplane is your problem. The tape dipole aft of the baggage
 compartment will work just fine if you need to replace the antenna.

Jim Puglise, Punta Gorda, FL