Europa-List: Faulty fuel gauge

Subject: Europa-List: Faulty fuel gauge
From: Frank Mycroft <frankm@clara.net>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 19:06:24
I have a capacitance fuel gauge sender in a tube behind the baggage
compartment, and a VDO gauge on the panel.  For some reason the gauge
refuses to read more than about 5/8ths full even when the tank is
brimming.  I had this fault intermittently last summer, but after about
an hour's flying the fault corrected itself and the reading returned to
normal.  Once the tank really is below 5/8ths full the gauge starts
functioning normally right down to empty.  The vent appears to be clear
and blowing down it makes no difference.  It was recently completely
emptied when I was replacing a fuel pipe, so there is no foreign
substance in the tube.  The wiring appears to be sound.  It's as though
the top part of the probe is inneffective, but as I don't understand
these things I would welcome advice.  should I pull the capacitance tube
apart to look at it?

Frank Mycroft