RE: Europa-List: Re: Spraying questions

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Spraying questions
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 12:59:13

Graeme=2C
Everyone has different ideas on the subject. You want to use acrylic uretha
ne=2C not acrylic enamel=3B the latter are the cheaper car paints.In the US
 at least all paint manufacturers had to change their product lines recentl
y because of new VOC legislation. For example the popular PPG primer K36 do
es no longer exist ( I found an equivalent at half the price).Regarding UV
protection=2C no airplane has fallen out of the sky yet because of UV radia
tion. All new paints are very good in that area=2C and you are using a dark
 primer for protecting the structure. And you are correct about the 98%. Al
so=2C choose a really white paint. Most of them are tinted=2C and that only
 becomes obvious when you hold it against a pure white sample.Many builders
 have done their own painting=2C although=2C it would help to have a profes
sional do the final top coat (which could also be a clear)  on the wing top
s and fuselage. One good example is Erich Trombley's mono. It has a showroo
m finish and he never handled a spraygun before in his life.
Karl

> Subject: Europa-List: Re: Spraying questions
> From: graeme@gdbmk.co.uk
> Date: Thu=2C 28 Apr 2011 00:30:13 -0700
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
>

> Nev=2C hi thanks for the advice=2C a few clarifications required
>
> a) doesnt the Polly fibre smooth prime provide the UV block not the top c
oat?
> b) I was not aware that there was a specified paint for the Europa=2C whe
re can I find what that is?
> c) I presume the UV effect is a long term effect and most planes are in a
 hangar 98% of the time - not that I would want this to be the only protect
ion.