Europa-List: Re: Spraying questions

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Spraying questions
From: graeme bird <graeme@gdbmk.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 23:44:08

Thanks for all the advice. David Steade has been very useful, apparently the
recommended
paint is a 2K polyurethane Aerodur from Paxa in the UK (or Europa) C21/100UVR
and primer 37045 (he used 8lts of top and 10 ltrs primer plus hardener
S66/22R (13) and thinner C25/90S (15).
However I spoke to my LAA inspector and also LAA engineering (andy draper) and
it is OK to use other schemes, it needs to be written up in the build info and
should show that some form of protection to UV has been taken into
consideration.
The UV smooth prime does protect the substrate.
As regards painting, I made lots of enquires in the UK a while back and there
are
not loads of local paint shops painting glass fibre planes, most of them spray
spam cans. Some seem to have been caught with lots of time consuming finishing
and they would also have the paints they feel comfortable with. Working with
a paintshop would be great if I was retired.
All in all, if I can make a reasonable job that I am happy with, do it at home
at my own pace, learn a new skill as I go and be in a position to repair it when
I put it through a hedge then I shall be happy.

--------
Graeme Bird
G-UMPY
Mono Classic/XS FWFD 912ULS/Warp drive FP
Build nearing completion

Read this topic online here: