Re: Europa-List: Re: Jabiru vs. Rotax

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Jabiru vs. Rotax
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 00:08:43
Can't argue with your logic Frans. You are right again.=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A
=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0AFrom: Frans Veldman <frans@priv
atepilots.nl>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com=0ASent: Monday, 18 April, 201
1 14:53:24=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Jabiru vs. Rotax=0A=0A--> Europa
-List message posted by: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>=0A=0AOn 04/
AirEupora" <AirEupora@sbcglobal.net>=0A> =0A> You are right Kevin.  Trying
to compare a Jabiru to a Rotax 912 or 914 is like =0A>comparing Apples and
Oranges.  Both taste good.  =0A>=0A=0AHas the Jab a turbo?=0A=0A> The Jabir
u will use a little over one gallon more per hour so it will cost me =0A>$5
.00 more an hour to operate.=0A=0AMake it two gallon per hour. That's 10 do
llar per hour. And not to=0Amention that with a turbo you will be able to f
ly higher and benefit=0Afrom a higher true airspeed, further reducing the f
uel required for a trip.=0A=0ALower fuel consumption means not only cheaper
 in operations, but also=0Athe ability to fly longer legs without refueling
, or just a saving in=0Afuel weight if you just fill her up for a certain t
ime of flying.=0A=0A>  If I get to fly 100 hour this coming year it will co
st me $500.00 dollars this =0A>year over your cost for fuel.=0A=0AThat's re
ally short term calculating. Let's say the airplane plus its=0Aengine will
see a service life of 1500 hours. Then the jab has consumed=0A$15000 more t
han the Rotax (ignoring the fact that the fuel prices will=0Ago up). Indeed
 over the service life of the airplane even a 914 with=0Aturbo is cheaper t
han a jab. Not to mention the selling price which is=0Aclearly higher for a
 914 than for a jabiru, if you ever choose to sell=0Ayour airplane.=0A=0ATh
at was about money. Now think about performance. Or maybe you plan to=0Afly
 only close to the sea level and the higher altitude performance=0Ahasn't a
 significant meaning to you.=0A=0AYou liked to compare against a 914. A 912
 is significantly more=0Aaffordable and consumes about the same amount of f
uel as a 914. With a=0A912 you actually gain a lot of money over the servic
e life compared to a=0AJabiru.=0A=0AJust some thoughts. (I don't care what
you install in your airplane, but=0AI hope you are seeing the whole picture
. It would be a shame if the=0Aproject you invested so much of your time in
 is going to disappoint to.=0AApparently quite some people got very frustra
ted with their Jabiru, and=0Asome even converted to a Rotax 914 and wasted
the money of their Jab.=0ANow let's do the calculation again...)=0A=0AFrans