Europa-List: Re: The demise of AvGas

Subject: Europa-List: Re: The demise of AvGas
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 02:20:54

Hi Frans,
Regarding octane numbers, be careful to compare apples to apples.
AVGAS 100LL has a MON (Motor Octane Number)of 100.
A different scale is used for MOGAS. In Europe, our unleaded 98 Mogas is 98 RON
(Research Octane Number)  which is equivalent to 87-88 MON. Unleaded 95 Mogas
is 95 RON which is equivalent to 85 MON.
So the best unleaded MOGAS has an octane number which is way below AVGAS's. This
why existing MOGAS cannot be used on the typical air cooled aircraft engines
except for the lowest compression ones.
Developing a 100 MON unleaded aviation fuel is certainly possible, but due to
low
volume and more stringent specifications it will for sure be a lot more
expensive
than any Mogas. So I share your opinion not to invest in an engine designed
to run on AVGAS only.
Regards
Remi

Read this topic online here: