Re: Europa-List: Mono Landing Gear Question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mono Landing Gear Question
From: Jim Brown <acrojim7534@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 04:44:08
Martin, I just completed replacement of the rubber block, (black),-bungee
 cord, =0Aand all of the bronze bushing in my plane..I used 3/8 inch bungee
 cord from =0Aaircraft spruce. I purchased 30 feet of cord. and used about
25 feet.-You- will =0Aneed the extra length to have something to hold o
nto while you are wraping the =0Acord around the frame.=0A-You can tell i
f the bungee cord needs replacing by how hard it is to retract =0Athe gear.
..-My original bungee cord had 7-wrap's around the frame.and so-I =0A
replace with same number.-My gear had reached the point that it took a ha
rd push =0Ato get gear retracted.. I have 850. hours on the original setup.
and 10 years =0Atime in service.. I also replaced all of the bronze bushing
s while I had the =0Agear laying on the hanger floor.=0A=0AThe rebuild made
 a big difference in the gear retraction cycle, airframe set up =0Ahigher,
much easier to retract the gear. You will probably need to extend the =0Aou
triggers. Buy new nylon replacement at Aircraft Spruce.. They have it in
=0Avarious diameters. You need- the one and a quarter inch in diameter si
ze..check =0Ayours to make certain...They sell it by the foot....=0A=0AI ha
ve pictures of the whole operation, if you need to see.....=0A=0AJim Brown
=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0AFrom: Martin Tuck <MJKTuck@cs.c
om>=0ATo: Europa Builders Forum <europa-list@matronics.com>=0ASent: Thu, Ap
ril 14, 2011 11:42:03 PM=0ASubject: Europa-List: Mono Landing Gear Question
When I replaced the brakes recently I thought the red rubber block (that ha
s the =0Avee's cut in it) which forms part of the landing gear suspension w
as looking a =0Abit tired. I looked at some early photos of the aircraft an
d sure enough the top =0Aof the tire seems to be inline with the bottom of
the fuselage whereas now the =0Atop of the tire is inside the wheel well by
 maybe 1/2 inch or so and both =0Aoutriggers touch the ground whereas the a
ircraft used to tip from one to the =0Aother slightly.=0A=0AI assume I have
 to get a new block from Europa in the UK - but if it is =0Asomething I can
 get here I guess it makes sense to buy it here and save on =0Ashipping cos
ts. Same with the bungee cord which I might think about replacing at =0Athe
 same time.=0A=0AAnyone have to replace their block yet - if so, where can
you get one? How about =0Athe bungee - what is the spec?=0A=0AI seem to rec
all someone coming up with an alternative solution to the bungee =0Abut I c
an't recall what is was.- I think it included some kind of up-lock also.
=0A=0AAny help would be appreciated.=0A=0ARegards,=0AMartin Tuck=0AN152MT