Europa-List: Monowheel landing gear dampers

Subject: Europa-List: Monowheel landing gear dampers
From: Guerner Remi <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:52:12

Hi all,

I have been following the thread on the monowheel landing gear strut
(Mod 51) with great interest and I am planning to perform a full check
and refurbishment of the landing gear this winter. I need to replace
the rubber block as the airplane is now sitting significantly lower
than before. A the same time I would love to save some weight with
getting rid of the hydraulic dampers.  I noticed that among aircraft
using rubber blocks such as Lancairs, Jodels, Mooneys, none is using
hydraulic dampers, so I am questioning the usefulness of the dampers
on the Europa.

Has anyone experienced flying the Monowheel without the dampers ?

Regards

Remi Guerner

F-PGKL
XS Monowheel, 780 hours