Re: Europa-List: Re: Thoughts about the intercooler for 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Thoughts about the intercooler for 914
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:18:25

On 06/10/2010 05:04 PM, rparigoris wrote:

> It seems to me you are in the perfect situation to measure actual
> performance difference. Perhaps if you don't mind you can perform a
> few tests to measure performance now: **In climb have intercooler
> flap opened and set up climb using 115% power, try maintaining climb
> to let things normalize, then set prop manually to hold RPM, note MP,
> then close intercooler flap.

I will do so as soon as the cloud base will rise enough. ;-)

> One major reason for not dumping air that is too warm through a 914
> is for a given octane fuel detonation will occur a lot sooner than
> with cooler air. That I believe is primary reason for TCU
> intervention.

That's right. But I might assume that Rotax has set this temperature
limit to a specific value, and below this limit there is no risk of
detonation. I think it is quite a challenge to get the inlet temperature
up to the limit of 88C...

Frans