Re: Europa-List: Re: Intercooler for 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Intercooler for 914
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:05:14

On 06/10/2010 04:47 PM, rparigoris wrote:

> I ordered a while back one of UMAs senders for their air box probe without
> anything
inside. Ends up it fits my 3-TO-92 package (-55 to 150C) perfectly:
> http://www.europaowners.org/forums/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=78342
> Make sure you get their special sealing washer.

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. The UMA sender I got was
all metal. It was just measuring the temperature of the airbox, not from
the air inside. The airbox itself is probably a lot warmer than the air
inside.
So, I filed off the metal surrounding the protruding part of the sensor.
There it was, the sensor itself embedded in epoxy. Now it worked much
better, but still it looks like the airbox temperature is influencing
the measuring of the air temperature. UMA agreed that this setup is not
working well, so they are willing to make a sensor with a much more
protruding tip.

So, the problem is not the sensor, but how to mount the sensor without
heat leak from the metal thread to the sensor itself.

Frans