Europa-List: Re: Thoughts about the intercooler for 914

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Thoughts about the intercooler for 914
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 08:04:36

Hi Frans

I agree that measuring temperature of air is not an easy thing to do without
being
influenced by mount.

My bottom line question to install intercooler or not was based on function of
Bell intercooler.  If it is not doing job or extremely limited job, then may not
be worth it.

It seems to me you are in the perfect situation to measure actual performance
difference.
Perhaps if you don't mind you can perform a few tests to measure performance
now:
**In climb have intercooler flap opened and set up climb using 115% power, try
maintaining climb to let things normalize, then set prop manually to hold RPM,
note MP, then close intercooler flap. If the intercooler is doing anything then
you should see a drop in RPM as you are now dumping warmer air into engine.
Leave flap closed to long enough to normalize, then open flap again and note
if there is a RPM increase.
**Perform same test at 10K with full throttle in cruise.

If you do see a change then there is a good chance your air box sender is
speaking
with a forked tongue.

One major reason for not dumping air that is too warm through a 914 is for a
given
octane fuel detonation will occur a lot sooner than with cooler air. That
I believe is primary reason for TCU intervention.

Ron Parigoris

Read this topic online here: