Re: Europa-List: Re: Cooling issues, once again!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Cooling issues, once again!
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 18:10:14
Frans,
Lowering the oil cooler and plugging the gap between the two is all that
is necessary normally even for the 914.  If you put the coolers dead
behind one another you better only have a 912.  Once the oil cooler is
moved down as low as it can go and the leaks plugged around and between
the coolers, it cools very well up to about 95 degrees F, then I hate to
say it but I have to climb out at 90 Kts with power at 34 inches to keep
the #3 cylinder temp below 250.  Simple ducting to bring cooling air
over the top cures that, but I still climb out at 90, to keep things at
about 230.  I run Evans coolant right now, just to test it, and found I
prefer glycol as the engine runs a bit cooler.  Now if I could stop this
stupid turbo from leaking still.

In my cooling briefing I published I too feel as you, why not just bathe
the coolers in their own air.  It will work as you have seen.

Bud Yerly