Re: Europa-List: Re: Cooling issues, once again!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Cooling issues, once again!
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 21:36:35

On 06/06/2010 12:49 AM, rparigoris wrote:
> I have incorporated a
> rich switch that activates the enrichment solenoid at will

A good idea. I like it for emergency use, but to use a richer mixture to
solve cooling flaws is something I consider a last resort.

> mogas
> with alcohol will run leaner than mogas without alcohol,

Good point. I use mogas, but haven't bothered too much to see if there
is alcohol inside.

> Constipation is a big problem, Ira mentioned using an
> airspeed indicator to see where high and low pressure area is.

Good idea as well. Guess it is time to source ebay for a used ASI.

> I will also use two model aeroplane electric motors to exhaust through
> gills on ground and in climb.

Well, I'm not too fond of this idea. It is somewhat strange to have to
use fans in a vehicle that has already a large big fan in front, and
which moves fast by nature. There is plenty of airflow available, it is
just a matter to find a way to let physics do the work for you.

> I will have my exhaust coated with a coating
> that is supposedly time tested from Rotax research arm, limits some
> heat going into cowl. If I want to limit more heat going into cowl
> will wrap exhaust, but makes for harder inspection.

Keep in mind that heat release is actually a good thing. Heating the air
inside the cowl increases the volume of the air, and thus creates extra
pressure on the exit. This reduces drag. Jet engines work that way as
well. ;-)
Further, the cooler the air escaping from the exhaust, the less noisy it
is, and the less turbulence it causes. This again results in less drag.
With a proper airflow inside the cowling (from top to bottom) you are
using waste cooling air from the cylinders to cool the exhaust tubes.
This heated air should just go to the exit, and nowhere else. If this is
the case, it is worth cooling the exhaust as much as possible.

> Using something like an automobile windshield
> washer pump and spray head misting radiators with water could keep
> you cool till you hit on something that works.

This means I would have to install a water tank, carry water as ballast,
install electrics, etc. I think in the same time I could relocate the
oil cooler. If the vendors cooperate, I will be flying again within a week.

Frans