Re: Europa-List: Re: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 23:47:25

This is what I think this topic shortly:

1)  we could fix permanently the tabs and stop
trimming but then we have to
accept we loose also anti-servo-function which is
necessary to generate some pilots stick forces.

Flying with zero pitch forces by stick would be
nauseous and
dangerous.

2) trimming function is there just to zero trim
tabsanti-servo
loads when tailplanes are in their desidered
position = when trimming pilot is in fact
in-lining the
tabs with the tailplanes to zero the stick forces.

Stick loads means the tabs must be deflected more
or less, no
stick loads means the tabs are in-lined with
tailplanes = the plane is trimmed.

3) if the trim tabs are slightly deflected when
the plane is trimmed and there are no stick
forces, it means some unperfection with
tailplanes shape (foam structure, no NG factory
made).

4) " aerodynamically balanced " tailplanes = the
forces which try to turn the tailplanes clockwise
are always equal with the forces which try to turn
them anticlockwise.
That is why they could float in any position any
time (without anti-servo function or pilots hand
which keeps the stick steady).

Frans, do you now have more photos with varying
speeds and CofGs ?

Raimo