Re: Europa-List: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:05:47

On 04/12/2010 08:51 PM, Frans Veldman wrote:

> The more I think about this, the more I think that this is the reason
> why we always see a trim tab up position.
>
> Any comments about this hypothesis?

Anyone who reached the flying status interested in a harmless experiment?

My idea is that if you get the trim tab to line up with the tailplane
you will experience less drag.

There is a very easy way to achieve this: apply some nose UP trim, and
use your muscles to keep the stick in the desired (forward) position so
the nose doesn't move up.
This will have the effect that the trim tab moves down, and you prevent
the tailplane to get into a position where the trim tab sticks up again
by pushing the stick forward.
Of course you should try to remain at the same altitude.

If everything is right, you would see a small increase in speed.
I just wonder how much that is.

If it is worth the trouble, we could load the stick somewhat forward
with a spring or bungee. This would have the effect that the trimmed
position is always with the trim tab in line with the tailplane... as it
was supposed to be in the first place.

Frans