Re: Europa-List: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim
From: Peter Zutrauen <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:06:18
This is an interesting subject indeed.

I was taught that on an inherently stable aircraft (operating within its CG
envelope) with a tail, the tailplane is always exerting a downward force in
cruise to counteract the tendency of the wing to twist forward in the
airflow due to the lift vector.    As opposed to a canard where the forward
wing provides lift, making it a more efficient design.

I'm perplexed - all the photos I've ever looked at of Europas in cruise, the
trim tab is *up* (as others have noted), thus the flying elevator is by
definition providing *lift* to the tail.... a contradiction to my
teachings.

Confused,
Pete
A239

--
"A man is not old until his regrets take the place of his dreams. "