Re: Europa-List: Europa- Fresh air vents

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa- Fresh air vents
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:31:15
Paul,

I installed my vents during construction but don't see why it couldn't be
accomplished
after the build.  I found a hole saw that was exactly the right diameter
to fit the ridge on the vent.  I would recommend applying tape to the paint
side prior to drilling from the paint side to protect the paint from chipping.
Drill slowly and carefully.  Once you have run the center drill bit through,
you might even consider operating the hole saw by hand at least until it is
through the outer skin.

You will have to remove the interior skin and foam in a larger circle to allow
the ring to sit flush with the outer surface.  Careful work with a box cutter
type blade will do it.

I used Redux/Araldite to bond the ring in place.

I hope this helps,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/N914XL
Aircraft Flying!
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208
Home:  940-497-2123
Cel:  817-992-1117

On Dec 18, 2009, at 15:58, Paul McAllister wrote:

> Hi Gary, and others that have gone before me,
>
> I was wondering how you were able to fit up the Ultimate ventilators without
damaging your paint finish.

> Thanks,  Paul
>

> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Garry <garrys@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>  And the best part is that they can be installed in a few minutes AFTER you've
completed your build, without messing up your paint job or your interior
upholstery.