Re: Europa-List: Monowheel master cylinder?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel master cylinder?
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@redzone.com.au>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:09:35

> Installing on the stick? That would be absolutely erconomical (HOTAS
> braking) but could there be some risks lurking??? I know there are some
> ultras or so with brake lever on the stick.

Hello Raimo

There is no need to worry about lurking risks with a hand brake on the
stick.  I have considerable experience using them in gliders and I can
assure you that with mono wheel aircraft, it is an ideal solution for the
braking problem.

I cannot even begin to imagine how someone would land with their fist
clasped around the brake handle on landing because it is such an unnatural
way to hold the stick but I guess anything is possible.  One thing I have
noticed however, is the number of power pilots flying with differential foot
braking that land with their feet high on the pedals with resultant partial
braking. . . . especially in Cessnas.  This is a terrible habit but it is
surprising how many do it.

Also, consider the number of push bikes and motor bikes in the world with
hand operated braking.  If there were any risks lurking, I'm sure the method
would have been changed by now.

Best regards
Kingsley