Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat and air cooler shutter

Subject: Europa-List: Oil cooler thermostat and air cooler shutter
From: Sidsel og Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:01:42

Steve,

I had the same issue with the oil temp being too low on my 912ULS.  I also
had too low coolant and cyl. head temps during the cold season in Norway
(50/50 water/glycol).

I fitted the Rotax recommended thermostat - big improvement (see attached
photo).

I also fitted a Van's cooler shutter in front of approx. 60% of the air
cooler (see attached photos, taken before I removed the metal plates in
front of the lower part of the oil cooler when the thermostat was
installed).
40% of the air cooler is left open so that I always have air stream into the
pick-up duct behind the coolers for cabin heating (a shutter in the back of
that duct is closed in order to press warm air into the cocpit).

The following hardware was purchased from Van's Aircraft Inc. (quoting
description from invoice, 2007 prices):

- Oil cooler vent cooler shutter                     USD 42.50
- HW wire nut kit Bowden cable wire end    USD 3.05
- CT A-740 black push pull cable black        USD 12.50

You will note a hinge on top of the shutter.  This is only a means a
fastening the shutter to the vent duct - I used what left-overs I had
available.

Regards,
Svein

LN-SKJ