Re: Europa-List: Mono Brake Bleeding

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mono Brake Bleeding
From: Keith Hickling <keithhickling@clear.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:26:43
Hi Tony,
The Europa bleeding kit is great and was the only way I managed to bleed
the brakes successfully in my mono. The problem is that the master
cylinder slopes upwards and air gate trapped at the end opposite to the
brake line connection.

Screw the alu reservoir into the filler hole on the master cylinder.
Then fill the syringe with fluid, attach a short length of plastic
tubing, and attach to the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder. Slacken
the bleed nipple and inject the fluid. When all 10 mls are injected,
tighten the bleed nipple, refil the syringe and repeat. It takes 2 - 3
10 ml syringes to fill the system. When fluid with no air bubbles flows
into the reservoir, tighten the bleed nipple and remove some fluid from
the reservoir until it is about a third full. Then pull the brake lever
until no more air is expelled. Release the lever slowly and watch the
level of fluid in the reservior as it drops to make sure no air is
sucked into the master cylinder. Repeat until no more air is expelled
---From the master cylinder. Finally pull the brake lever back just a
quarter of an inch, empty the reservoir with the syringe, and release
the brake lever, so that the fluid level drops just below the filler
hole in the master cylinder. That then lets you unscrew the reservoir
without brake fluid leaking everywhere. Replace the filler cap, check
the bleed nipple is fully tightened, and the system should be bled.

Regards,
Keith Hickling,
New Zealand.

<tony.bale@virgin.net>