Europa-List: aileron etc weights [was: Europa 4-seater]

Subject: Europa-List: aileron etc weights [was: Europa 4-seater]
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 15:31:44

>I called Andy Draper 26. January 2000 and he stated "The Ideal
>weight of the umpainted aileron is around 1100 grams +/- 10%". I was
>so happy my ailerons were 1126 grams /stbd and 1150 grams /port

Raimo - please tell me that was BEFORE you added the horn balances! I
didn't weigh mine until after the horns were added and they came out
at 2505g (starboard) and 2495g (port) which seems unbelievably heavy
in comparison.

I did weigh the lead weights before they were fitted to the horns and
they were about 520g each, so subtracting 2 of those gives about
1460g for the aileron structure without the lead.

My flaps seem pretty heavy too - they are 3285g (starboard) and 3225g (port).

None of the above are profiled or painted yet, they are just as laid
up, with the peel-ply removed.

Any comments from others who have weighed their control surfaces?

regards

Rowland