Re: Europa-List: 914 Fuel Injected Update & Opinion

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 Fuel Injected Update & Opinion
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 17:28:43
Frans,
Your concern was the first thing I worked on with Jason.
The fuel comes in and is under pressure through the manifold then to the
regulator just like a car.  Any air passes through so quickly as it is
the path of least resistance out of the manifold that it is not a
problem unless the tank runs dry...and you don't have another full tank.
 That's another problem.  For those of you worried about switching
tanks, install a header tank as used to be a common thing.  As fuel
injection matured and dumb things like putting the regulator at the pump
was changed, air in the system became less of a problem as witnessed
with our current fuel injected cars and trucks.  Once one side runs dry
just like in a diesel truck with two tanks, the pump reprime is quick
and the air bubbles pass quick.  A couple of sputters and your off.
Just don't get into that problem on final...Of course that is a pilot
problem.  The Riley Rocket Cessna 310 used two fuel injected
Continentals and we would run until the first hickup and scramble to
switch from the aux tanks.  If you weren't quick, you were single engine
for about 10 seconds.  The fuel pressure was the key.  Set the warning
system, (which we didn't have) to alert you of a drop of fuel pressure
---From the manifold and switch tanks.  Also, I have learned from the car
guys that you put the filters aft of the pumps to lower the suction
problems.

If you insist on running a tank dry. Do this:

Install a fuel pump on each tank that is low pressure high flow.
Install optional shutoff valves in a header tank to keep the pumps from
running constantly.
Install an overflow on the header with one way check valve back to the
main tank.
Put a pair of high pressure fuel pumps in series with shutoff valves
---From the header tank with inverted pickup in case of turbulence.
Install a header low fuel warning system to alert of impending fuel
exhaustion to warn of tank changing.
Install the SDS system as designed with the regulator after the
injectors with the return back to the header.

See off road racers set ups it is virtually the same.

It just takes time.

Bud