Re: Europa-List: ROTAX 5 Year Rubber Replacement

Subject: Re: Europa-List: ROTAX 5 Year Rubber Replacement
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:03:33

Personally I wouldnt worry too much about "genuine" Rotax spares. Im pretty
sure the heater/ coolant hoses are generic hoses available from any motor
factoring company. Just make sure you get exactly the right size - the top
ones are a different diameter to the bottom ones. Some of the radiator hoses
are Europa specific so those have to come from Europa (at least the ones
with a bend in them)..

Oil hose again available from motor factors.

You can get the carb diaphrams from here and they are genuine Bing
replacements (if you measure the diameter of the original diaphrams and call
them they will tell you the correct size - I think from memory it is the
smaller diameter but you will need to check).

http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfinal.php?function=show&subs=084&title=DIAPHRAGMS+%26+GASKETS

The only bits you will have to get from Rotax are the rubber carb mounting
flanges. I think these are slightly cheaper here (or at least they were).-

http://www.aerosportuk.com/acatalog/Aerosport_Shop_Carburettor_Flange_39.html

Your main expense and bother is replacing all the fuel hoses which have to
be replaced every 5 years also - I think that is a PFA requirement but dont
quote me on that one. I found that Europa were as cheap as anybody for this
so didnt bother looking elsewhere.

To be fair to Skydrive I dont think they are ripping anybody off - its just
the price Rotax choose to charge and as they have a monopoly on parts they
do (charge!). It doesent seem to matter where in the world you get your
Rotax spares, they are the same cost everywhere. Its the price you pay for
the paperwork that goes with genuine aircraft parts.

Hope that helps.