Re: Europa-List: Re: Jabiru Cowls

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Jabiru Cowls
From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:52:38

Fred Klein wrote:
> Though I can't pretend to understand fully what Don wrote in his books
> about the design of the Europa and don't question his genius, I've
> often wondered about his choice of wing tip; Hoerner
> and VanGrunsven clearly believe that in the speed range of the Europa,
> some special attention is warranted.
>
> Your thoughts?
>
> Fred
> A194
Fred
I used to try and get Don (and Ivan) to explore wing tip design but he
never would, he felt that in the cruise the induced drag was so low
(because of the wing area) that it wasn't worth the troublel; probably
true for the cruise but not true for climb. I always liked the wing on
the Dornier 228 (number?) It reminded me of the top glider wings with
increasing sweep on the leading edge.
I don't like straight lines and square wings, don't see many birds like
that do you?
Graham