RE: Europa-List: Re: Jabiru Cowls, Wing tips

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Jabiru Cowls, Wing tips
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:14:22

Not to butt in=2C  but as you all know=2C I have flaws...

Wing tip design is to control vortices as we all know.  Mr. Dykins did a gr
eat job of designing the wing with the tip creating virtually no lift at cr
uise speeds of 130 KTS and up to 10=2C000 MSL.  Therefore=2C in my opinion
=2C an aerodynamic gimmick to reduce tip drag is not necessary=2C unless fo
r cosmetics or utilty.

For those of you unfamiliar=2C the Europa wing lift distribution is very ne
arly elliptic (optimum)=2C giving the least induced drag at low altitude cr
uise.  Wing tip redesign is only necessary if the wing loading or wing lift
 distribution is not elliptic and a large vortex is generated by the wing t
ip=2C adding drag.  Horner tips or winglets work when the big square wing h
as a large vortex created at the tip due to lack of twist=2C so the added f
rontal area drag is compensated for by the reduced vortex drag.  And frankl
y=2C the increase in wing area at the tip reduces the stall speed=2C not th
e shape in GA aircraft.  On large aircraft with swept wings=2C winglets hel
p break down tip drag and tip losses due to the wide flight envelope of the
 aircraft.

Should we ask our Europa wing design to lift another 500 pounds of airplane
=2C or cruise above 20=2C000 MSL=2C wing tip design may be relevant.  I lik
e what Claude Tugwell did on his classic.  He made the tip to include a sli
ght Horner dip adding about 6 inches from aileron end to the tip.  It makes
 grasping the tip for carrying=2C rigging and de-rigging easier=2C but does
n't do a thing for speed.

A Plane Jane wing tip isn't sexy=2C but it works if the wing design is righ
t.  As one of my aerodynamics instructors (Mr. Bonde=2C who worked on the o
riginal 727 wing) said in college=2C  "Tip design can be a flat plate if yo
u got the lift distribution right".

We'll talk more at Sun n Fun over a bit of libation.

Now I have to get the displays ready for Sun 'n Fun.

Bud Yerly

Custom Flight Creations (813) 653-4989

> Date: Fri=2C 17 Apr 2009 19:35:19 +0200
> From: frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl