Re: Europa-List: Trike nose wheel castor spindle and yoke failure.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trike nose wheel castor spindle and yoke failure.
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 19:28:43
Europa Flyer Mag.

hi Karl,

> Sorry to butt in again, but you say that ACS don't have a matching wall
> thickness spindle.
> They have exactly the same, I gave you the part number.

The part number you gave has a smaller wall thickness than what I
measured on the original. Maybe Europa changed the tubing size somewhat?

My solution is to order 03-04800 and 03-06600, which will give me a
combined wall thickness of .240
The largest wall thickness of 1" steel tube offered by ACS (your part
number) is .188, and that is smaller than what I measured. I measured an
I.D. of .5
Given the fact that some people experienced problems with a bending
nosewheel spindle, I'd rather stick to the original wall thickness.
Also, an inner I.D. of .5 allso provides a snug fit of the AN8-bolt to
be inserted.

Has anyone else measured the wall thickness and/or inner diameter of the
nosewheel spindle? Maybe there are two versions supplied? Which explains
why some people experience problems and some others not (bad landings
excluded of course! ;-) ) Another difference I experienced is that my
nosehweel spindle is not just held by the famous roll pin, but also
"glued" with something (probably locktite).

Of course I can't exclude the possibility that I didn't measure
correctly. In that case, I will just get a stronger nose wheel spindle
than original.

--
Frans Veldman