Re: Europa-List: Trike nose wheel castor spindle and yoke failure.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trike nose wheel castor spindle and yoke failure.
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 22:59:02
 Europa Flyer Mag.

Karl Heindl wrote:

> That must explain the confusion over wall thickness. Europa's supplier
> must have changed the specs somewhere along the line. In decimal inches,
> the thickness of mine is .188, with an i.d. of .625. My serial number is
> 392.

My serial number is 589.
Could be interesting to compare the serial numbers of airplanes with
nose wheel troubles.

BTW, it occurs to me that the fork itself is ridiculous strong and
heavy, compared to the spindle and anything above it. If I'm not
mistaken, it is ordinairy cast iron, and that doesn't belong on an
airplane IMHO. Some steel-alloy part could do the same job with less
than half of the weight.
Above the wheel axle, one could drill a series of holes of increasing
size, or cut out a triangle shape on each side, without compromising the
strength (at least not compared to the rest of the leg), saving
considerable weight. Any ideas, comments?

> And how did the PFA/LAA ever approve the instrument module which is very
> flammable and giving off very toxic fumes when ignited.

Glad I didn't use it at all. ;-)
If anyone is interested in a never used instrument module, mail me
privately. Although it is somewhat tempting to see how flammable it is. ;-)

--
Frans Veldman