Re: Europa-List: Re: Jabiru Cowls

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Jabiru Cowls
From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 01:41:40

Frans Veldman wrote:
> I recall having read somewhere that for the speeds reached by
> GA-aircraft, any improvements by winglets etc. is countered by the
> additional drag (frontal area, friction drag). If you see winglets, it
> is usually the result of fashion, not science.

But don't try and fly an EZ without it's winglets! Not possible. It all
depends how much washout the designer put in and the wing area. Exceed
Vne in a sailplane and the wings bend down.
Winglets can certainly be fashionable but square wings are just a poorly
optimised compromise. There are no straight lines on a bird and some of
them are optimised for incredible feats of efficiency.
Graham