Re: Europa-List: Trim Damper Assembly

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trim Damper Assembly
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 08:36:23

Fred Klein wrote:

> Before bonding on the top, I want to be certain that the Trim Damper
> Assembly is properly adjusted, particularly w/ respect to the amount of
> friction when it moves in the slot in TS01. As far as I can tell, the
> Build Manual does not address this question, yet it would appear to be
> key to having the pitch control system function properly without burning
> up the pitch trim motor. I can't seem to get my mind around the function
> of this seemingly elaborate confusion of spring, tube, thru bolt, and
> nuts of various sizes...it's complexity suggests that, when properly
> adjusted, it performs a critical function.

It appears to me that the function is to take sudden load applications,
i.e. flutter, and to cancel out any slack in the system behind it,
particularly from the gears in the trim motor assembly. Any slack here
would induce flutter, and the trim damper assembly will make this slack
"invisble".
These trim motors are awfully strong, so I doubt you could adjust the
friction so much that the motor would not be able to move it anymore
and/or burn up.
Also, I believe that, despite the suggestion of "adjustable" components,
that the adjustable range is neglectible. If bolted together properly,
it is performing its intended job (whatever that may be).

> Can anyone please enlighten me on what proper adjustment would be?

I guess everyone has another perception of that the proper adjustment
would be. As of so far no Europa's have come down due to inproper
adjustment, it appears that in reality the adjustment is not critical.
The ommission about this adjustment in the manual is a further
indication that it is not critical. ;-)

I would suggest to set it halfway the available range. I can't recall
how I adjusted it, but most likely I set it halfway the available range
as well.

--
Frans Veldman