Europa-List: TRAVELLING ABROAD IN A PERMIT AIRCRAFT

Subject: Europa-List: TRAVELLING ABROAD IN A PERMIT AIRCRAFT
From: Mike Parkin <mikenjulie.parkin@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:14:10
Travelling VFR in Europe has always been fairly easy in my limited
experience.  However, I do wonder if my travels have been that way because
the local authorities didn't know I was there.  With the introduction of
Mode 'S', area radars can now easily obtain your registration - that means
that we are more easily identified for aircraft type.  Not being
particularly  brave, I choose to cross the channel from Kent, usually to Le
Touquet or Ostende.  The LAA has a document on line - 'TRAVELLING ABROAD IN
A PERMIT AIRCRAFT' - this covers a lot of the information required.
Unfortunately, the date on the document is 2005, is there a later version
available.

While, I know that France, Germany and the Netherlands are fairly permit
aircraft friendly,  does Belgium continue to require an application with fee
to transit Belgian airspace.  I recall that some of the Europa Club members
had a bit of a battle with Italian bureaucracy a couple of years back.

Perhaps an area of the Europa Club web-site could be dedicated to the rules,
regulations and pilots experiences - I for one would find such a site very
useful.

What do you guys on the Europa Club Committee think.

Regards,

Mike Parkin

G_JULZ soon to be flying again.