RE: Europa-List: Cutting off back of cockpit module

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Cutting off back of cockpit module
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 22:14:37

Bob,

Thanks for the picture reference. It looks like you followed the text
religiously. I can swear that my (almost imperceptible) scribe line follows
the dotted line in my picture. Well, based on everyone's responses, it
appears that the sky is the limit on the cutting. Though any will work, I
think I will choose a hybrid. Not quite like the manual, and not quite no
cutting at all. A little increase in strength in this area couldn't hurt too
much, especially to support the future bed......and sink.

Whoa! I saw (on your website)your picture of the black Widow hangar watch
spider! I would think that he wouldn't be the only one doing the
watching...that you would be watching him too! LOL.

Thanks for the input, and good luck on your 0.0001% .  OHH to be
there..(stop daydreaming Greg!!!)
Regards,
~Greg Fuchs

Greg,

I went back to my build site to refresh my memory on how I trimmed
that part of the CM.

Year #2, Q4 2003, pics 6 & 7 show the CM ready to bond in place.  You
can get a good idea how I trimmed my CM there.

You certainly can trim it as you indicate and provide additional
bonding area and strength, but understand that it will be at a weight
penalty.

Yes, there are lots of critters ready to take over your space and many
are willing and able to fight you for it.  I need to work out some
better way to seal the big door on my shop from the critters.  Also
seal in some heat!

Check six,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/N914XL
(99.999% done) Essentially complete.  Running Tests & Final Inspections.