Re: Europa-List: Aileron hinge wear

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Aileron hinge wear
From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:42:07

Lisbet og Gert Dalgaard wrote:
> Hi Svein
> You take out the hinge-pin, form it as an "S" (app. 20 deg. on each
> bend), and tap it careful back in the hinge  -  after that you have
> solved the problem.
> Regards Gert
> OY-GDS
This used to happen with the EZs. Some aircraft had their ailerons
"buzz" vibrate within the boundary layer. Putting a Flettner strip on
cured it but most of them fixed it by using a Teflon tube same OD as the
original hinge wire and filling that with a stainless hinge pin. Andy
Draper did research it but had trouble fining the right wire.
You could try emailing Gary Hall,
http://www.uslan.com/hinge-kit.html
AFAIK he still sells the kits.

Bill Theeringer used to do kits too,
The teflon sleeving is 14 gauge electrical, has an OD of 0.125, a wall
thickness of 0.010, an ID of 0.105,
and uses a 0.094 302 SS welding rod pin.  This results in a 0.011 slop
around the pin.  I recomend cutting the teflon at each hinge juncture so
the teflon is captivated and rotates aroind the pin.  Mine has over 1000
hours on it and shows no sign of wear.  You can put a warp in the pin to
eliminate the slight slop, but I think this will result in pressure
points that will facilitate wear.  My personal opinion only.

Graham