RE: Europa-List: sight tube

Subject: RE: Europa-List: sight tube
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 07:34:22
Craig,

You might already be aware of this, but in my judgement, the shifting
problem is not related to the EFIS, but is an artifact coming from the
capacitance sensor, based on fuel type.

Interesting that they mentioned it would work with the capacitance probes.

Did they ever tell you that it can handle a 0-5V input (or at least a
voltage input range)? It would be nice to know if this is the case, since
then the Odyssey could be used to compensate for the fuel usage linearity
issue if someone were to go the pressure sensor/amplifier route.

The Odyssey has two fuel inputs. Each one could have a different transfer
curve (would need to check, to be absolutely sure). If you are only using
one cap probe, you should be able to switch back and forth between the two
inputs, depending on which type of fuel you are using. This would handle two
of the 3 conditions conditions anyway ( such as a full tank of AVGAS or one
of Mogas10%). It would require operator intervention, though, to manually
make the switch based on the condition.

Mogas fuel with ethanol should have a higher conductance than without. I
assume it is the conductivity change that affects the capacitance probe
measurement. If this was the case, then I suppose someone could do some
testing on mogas (and avgas, to see if it is the same as non-ethanol mogas),
and come up with a graph of conductivity vs. fuel type. Using this info,
that other circuit you are talking about might be able to dynamically change
its output based on conductance, and feed this to the EFIS, which will
further process the tanks non-linearity. It might only take a small
proportional shift to do the job, but would depend on the tests.

It is nice to know the Odyssey might handle the voltage input. I hope that
is the case. Let me know if they gave you more info on this.

Regards,

Greg

  _____