RE: Europa-List: Wing incidence

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Wing incidence
From: Christoph Both <christoph.both@acadiau.ca>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 10:54:01
Hi,

What you don't want, especially if you have not yet set up the wing lift
pins and sockets already,  is to disturb the positioning of the seat
back bush as even a millimeter move up and down has a great effect on
the positioning of the wing dihedral to the fuselage. Drilling out opens
up this possibility so I would first consider cautious heat removal.

The trick is to heat the bush quickly enough so the surropunding epoxy
matrix is not heated up beyond a point where the cured epoxy heat
desintegrates, which goes pretty quickly. Epoxy glass matrix is a faily
good temperature insulator so you can work this to your advantage by
heating up quickly and then remove the bush immediately as the epoxy
softens. You will discover that in any case the epoxy in the seat back
bore will be destroyed for sure. It turns into a brown powder incapable
for any further structural design loads. So, after removal of the bush,
you must carefully remove all remaining epoxy in the seat back hole
without taking material from the seat back, though, and then start with
a fresh batch of epoxy glueing it back. I did use the 1/2 inch bolt to
line it all up making sure there was equal movement (play) both up and
down.

I have done several sets of bush removals incuding the 3/8 to 1/2 inch
concersion (which needs to be drilled) and the most useful tool I
discovered was a tapered reamer slightly larger that the inner bore of
the bush which after softening of the bush I quickly inserted and it
clawed it well and pulled it out easy. NOTE: This tool WILL destroy the
inner smoothness of the bush but in consideration of old burned up epoxy
clinging onto the textured outer bush surface which turns out impossible
to remove anyways I always replaced every bush anyways allowing a much
better adhesion to the new epoxy.

There are surprising high bending loads going into the seat back bushed
once the wings flex under load. This is caused because of the slight
differential of mounting locations between wing pin bushes outboard and
seat back bushes more inside the fuselage, with both wing pins taking
the full load of the entire bending forces of the wings. EUROPA
discovered this rather complex 3-D wing spar twisting tendency problem
about 10 years after delivery of the first kit and we all now need the
spar jackets to be added to our wings... In any case, you want the seat
back bushes refitting to be as best performed as possible.

There are some situations like popping off the metal spar cap inserts
which I had to do twice where heat is also a workable solution as I knew
the underlying glue bed of REDUX was thick enough to not transfer the
heat too quickly to the set back epoxy matrix - but I had to rehearse
the sequence before and time it very carefully to pop the cap off as
soon as possible with a tap of a chisel to prevent the underlying epoxy
matrix heating up beyond temperature limits.

Christoph Both
#223 Wolfville, Nova Scotia Canada